Five principles guide the work of the Network of Tax Organisations:
- Complementary: Collaboration will be aimed at complementing existing activities and cooperation agreements. The Network of Tax Organisations will avoid duplication of efforts and work towards creating synergies with its stakeholders instead.
- Equal: Participation in the Network of Tax Organisations will be founded on the equality of its members.
- Transparent: The governance and activities of the Network of Tax Organisations will be communicated, both internally and externally, in a clear and open manner.
- Voluntary: The independence and autonomy of all members will be assured. Their participation in the Network of Tax Organisations and its activities will be voluntary.
- Inclusive: The cooperation within the NTO is based on diversity, respect of human rights, gender equality, environmental sustainability, and inclusiveness.